About our client
Johnson Matthey PLC is a British multinational speciality chemicals and sustainable technologies company headquartered in the United Kingdom. It has five global divisions each focused on the development of high value added, high technology products and services; Precious Metal Products, Emission Control Technologies, Process Technologies, Fine Chemicals, New Businesses. Johnson Matthey is listed on the London Stock Exchange, has been a constituent of the FTSE 100 Index since 2002 and is Britain’s Most Admired Company 2014. Today, the company has market capitalisation of over £6 billion with around 11,000 employees operating in more than 30 countries.
For the office of Johnson Matthey in Maastricht, Netherlands, we are currently looking for a Legal Counsel.
As the sole legal advisor for Johnson Matthey in this region, your job purpose is to provide and manage high quality legal services to the Precious Metal Products Division (“PMPD”) of Johnson Matthey and specifically, the Advanced Glass Coatings (“AGT”) business unit and to ensure legal compliance and co-ordinated risk management for PMPD Legal. Reports to Head of Legal in the UK.
Principal daily accountabilities
- Advising JM’s AGT Business on a wide range of domestic and international commercial matters.
- Providing legal support to the various business functions, including the procurement, operations, quality, technology, R&D, supply chain, sales and marketing teams to the AGT sites which include Maastricht, USA, the UK, China, Korea and Thailand.
- Drafting and negotiating a variety of legal documents and commercial contracts. This ranges from standard terms to bespoke agreements. Examples include terms and conditions, joint development agreements, consultancy agreements, confidentiality agreements, sale/purchase agreements and quality agreements. The advisor is expected to advise on all legal aspects of such commercial arrangements, including competition, IP, tax and employment.
- Working closely with the businesses to ensure that appropriate risk management procedures are in place to cover contractual and compliance risk management, in accordance with Groupm politics.
- Providing legal and compliance training to the business (Anti-Bribery, Competition, Export Controls and Sanctions).
- Moniroring compliance policy implementation and providing assistance with implementation and enforcement within the AGT business
- Managing wide range of improvement projects within the PMPD legal team and within the AGT business.
- Implementing and maintaining standard form documents and procedures.
- Managing disputes and negotiation of dispute settlements / litigation management.
- Managing specialist legal services provided by external firms, such as non-Netherlands advice on corporate, commercial, litigation, employment, tax, IP, property and environmental law.
- There may also be scope for involvement in M&A matters such as business purchases and sales but experience in this area is not required.
- To take on any other duties which are within the employee’s skills and abilities whenever reasonably instructed.
Required skills and qualifications
- Netherlands Qualified lawyer with around 3 to 8 years broad corporate and/or commercial experience gained either in a leading firm or in industry
- Previous experience of working in an international environment
- Fluency in Dutch and English
- Exposure to intellectual property and competition law (pre)
- Experience dealing with Compliance matters (pre)
- Ability to communicate clearly to a wide range of audiences combined with a practical, organised approach
- Excellent commercial awareness and negotiating skills
- Team player with the ability to build strong relationships and trust with a wide range of audiences
- Ability to bring a pragmatic approach to complex legal issues
Please send us your resume including notes on application (> match, motivation) to firstname.lastname@example.org. Confidentiality guaranteed.
Senior Legal Counsel
On behalf of Avery Dennison, based in Oegstgeest, we are searching for an In-house lawyer / Legal Counsel that provides and manages a full range of le…
Advocaat / Partner Ondernemingsrecht
Unieke kans voor een Advocaat Ondernemingsrecht zich aan te sluiten bij een middelgroot kantoor in A’dam en haar/zijn praktijk gezamenlijk uit te bouw…